Written by: Ilia
Data recovery specialist, guest author, journalist.
If you accidentally delete files from your MacBook or iMac Recycle Bin, don't fall into despair. Handy modern software will assist you in recovering data lost from Mac OS.
Best data recovery software for Mac OS X:
TestDisk for Mac
TestDisk for Mac is a console utility that allows you to quickly recover lost or damaged partitions. Despite the fact that this app works from the command line, it's intuitively easy to use: it's more than enough to simply study the commands. TestDisk has no graphical user interface, but terminal text menu makes up for it.
TestDisk Toolkit will be useful under various circumstances: starting with hard drive errors and ending with human factor (for example, when a user accidentally erases files and then empties the Recycle Bin).
The advantages of TestDisk:
- Low probability of overwriting data by mistake due to "read-only" mode.
- The utility supports different file system formats (Mac, CramFS, Fat32, Dos, Fat12, Ntfs, Fat16, BEfs, Linux, XSF, JSF and Swap).
- Two operation modes. "Free" for searching in limited area and "Whole" for full scanning of disk surface.
- High efficiency of deleted data recovery.
TestDisk works with almost all operating systems (Windows, Linux and Mac OS) and its features are 100% free.
iSkysoft Data Recovery for Mac
iSkysoft Data Recovery uses the newest scanning algorithms for data recovery from Mac OS. The software scans the hard drive and external drive of Mac devices without damaging the data stored there thus allowing you to recover photos, videos, text documents, music, archive files and emails.
The main advantages of this recovery app:
- Safe reading of files on an SSD/HDD in scan mode (without writing).
- Flexible scanning. You can save the results of scanning, pause the process and continue it when you have free time.
- A thorough and selective scanning of a hard drive. Raw data recovery is possible after scanning the entire file system. Which allows you to check only the selected files and save time.
- Its preview feature provides a possibility to check the quality of data and identify unsuitable files before saving them.
- A built-in filter makes it possible to find the needed file in a matter of seconds.
The cost of iSkysoft Data Recovery full version is $90. Warranty lasts for 30 days.
Disk Drill will quickly and safely recover files deleted from Mac OS X. After accidentally cleaning the Recycle Bin or deleting important files, you can easily get access to the lost data and save it on your hard drive, external drive or memory card. Via this program you can easily recover doc, xls, AVI, mpg, jpg and other types of files.
Some of Disk Drill advantages:
- You can mark the files you need before recovery; you don't have to save everything on a disk.
- Even its free version has protection of data from deletion: recovery, smart, guaranteed and recovery vault.
- It's convenient and safe to use.
- It has a built-in deep scanning of raw data feature and search by signatures.
After scanning and finding needed files, a user might have to switch to Disk Drill Pro since the program free version is limited to 500MB.
The license costs:
- Disk Drill Pro for 89 + lifetime upgrades for 29.
- Disk Drill Enterprise for $399 + lifetime upgrades for free.
PhotoRec is a free software for recovering mostly multimedia data on Mac OS. It's a kind of graphical alternative to TestDisk. Via it you can recover a huge number of file extensions and corrupted data.
PhotoRec makes it possible to:
- Retrieve deleted files, including Word text documents, videos, audio, images, photos and archives.
- Scan by specified signatures bypassing a file system.
- Recover corrupted or modified photos/video from the Recycle Bin/ deleted after Shift + Del.
- Create your own signatures to search for exotic formats of deleted files.
PhotoRec complies with Windows, Linux, NETbsd, Sun Solaris, Mac OS X and supports dozens of file systems including popular exFAT, NTFS and FAT.
Note. We have already written several articles on how to work with PhotoRec properly. In particular, here is a manual on recovering photos deleted from your phone SD card.
MiniTool® Mac Data Recovery
MiniTool® Mac Data Recovery is another software searching for deleted photos and videos. According to its name the app is suitable for Mac OS (there is another version for Windows).
The main features of the program:
- Recovery of permanently deleted files from a hard drive and Mac OS x Recycle Bin.
- Scanning of external devices: SD cards, USB flash drive, SSD and HDD.
- The supported file systems are NTFS, FAT, HFS and HFS.
- Deleted data is displayed in a convenient way; information on corrupted files can be found in a preview window.
MiniTool Data Recovery can be characterized is a reliable tool which shows high quality results. In the web there are positive feedbacks from those users who have already worked with this utility.
The free program has restrictions on the volume of data that can be recovered — no more than 1 GB. MiniTool Mac Data Recovery paid version costs $69.