If you pay for content, it's crucial to avoid unnecessary costs. Fortunately, it's very easy to manage your Google Play subscriptions on Android and, if necessary, cancel or renew them in just a couple of clicks.
What is a subscription and why would you want to cancel it
Some apps offer access to their content for a fee. As an example let's take a music or video service which charge you with a subscription fee every month or once a year so that you can listen to music or watch TV shows without any restrictions. It can also be a service of another type such as: news outlet, app with audiobooks and so on. Some of them allow subscribing directly via Google Play. This is very convenient since thus you'll be able to manage all your monthly charges through one place and have a clear understanding of how much you spend.
But if you change your mind regarding the use of a service, you should unsubscribe from it in order to avoid unnecessary payments.
How to cancel a subscription on Android
If you decide to cancel a paid subscription via your mobile phone, you have to do the following:
- Launch Play Market.
- Select the Google account with the subscription you want to cancel.
- Tap "hamburger" (three-bar menu icon) and select "Subscriptions".
- Choose "Cancel subscription" and follow the instructions appeared on the screen.
The other way of how you can unsubscribe is even easier: you just have to delete the app in any convenient way. After that, the subscription to this app will be canceled automatically. Note that this method won't work if the service fee isn't managed via Google Play, but is issued, for example, via the app official website.
Finally, you can use your browser for cancelling your Google Play subscription:
- Go to play.google.com.
- Sign in with the account you have subscribed.
- Tap "My subscriptions" on the left side of the screen.
- Then tap "Unsubscribe" next to the service you no longer need.
Please note that although you will no longer be charged in future, you won't be refunded for previous periods.
How to renew your subscription
Did you change your mind? You can not only cancel your subscription, but also renew it. This can be done as follows:
- Go to play.google.com website or open Play Market and make sure you use the correct account.
- If you're doing it via the app, tap the menu icon and select "Subscriptions", and if you're doing it via the browser, select "My subscriptions" on the left side of the screen.
- Select the subscription you need and click the "Renew" button next to it.
If it's missing from the list then this subscription has expired and you have to re-subscribe. Also note that in some apps it's impossible to renew your subscription, even if it hasn't expired yet.
How to return your payment
You can only get a refund in case you cancel your subscription within the first 48 hours, as well as if you can't access the content you've paid for it. Do the following:
- Open https://play.google.com/store/account via any browser.
- Make sure you're logged in the correct account.
- Go to the "Order History" section, select the desired line and tap "More".
- Click "Request a refund" and then describe the reason for the refund in the appeared form.
Refunds are usually made quite fast (within 15 minutes), but in rare cases (such as ambiguous or controversial situations) it can take up to 4 working days.