The Flash Memory Toolkit program combines a wide range of functions that allow you to fix a USB flash drive: check for reading errors using tests and benchmarks, restore the original functionality. Despite the fact that the full version of the program costs 39.95 $, you can use it without any limits via FlashMemoryToolkit trial version. A download link is available at the bottom of the review.
Basic FlashMemoryToolkit toolbox
- Quick and advanced USB flash recovery
- Secure eracing of confidential information (Eraser tool)
- Extended verification of the flash drive for errors, reading / writing test & info
- Backup feature - 100% copy of the usb flash data
- Performance tests (Benchmark and flash speed test)
- Detailed information about the storage device and usb-flash drive
How to use Flash Memory Toolkit when recovering
To restore the flash drive using Flash Memory Toolkit,
- Select the device from the list (if you have more than one device mounted)
- Select the recovery function by clicking on the icon on the left in the Flash Memory Toolkit menu.
- Flash Memory Toolkit automatically detects new devices
- For a new device scan, click the Update button
- The Format button allows you to bypass the standard Windows formatting.
Clicking on the Screenshot button, you can create a screenshot of the program, which can be useful for diagnosing.
Getting Device Information
The Device Information function is useful when you need to get information about USB flash drive compatibility, operating system and USB port configuration. Clicking on the item on the USB configuration list you will get details about the USB connection or mounted USB flash device. To rescan the device, click the Refresh button.
How to fix USB flash drive. Checking the flash drive for errors
Error Scan function helps to check the device for problems related to its file table structure. During this operation you can run read / write tests and check your usb flash for errors. If both options are selected the data will be copied, then a test will be performed for reading speed. Generally speaking, the error checking function is very useful while buying a new flash drive or sd memory card. After passing the test, it is recommended to format the flash drive / sd-card. In addition, you can select the number of verification cycles.
Flash drive Wipe function
When you delete files on flash drive, all the data, in fact, remains intact, but the links to the files themselves are lost. Flash Memory Toolkit toolbox allows you to return all the files even after the flash drive formatting. Therefore, there is a double-edged sword: if you sell a flash drive, give it someone for personal use - the buyer or any person can easily recover deleted files. Full erasing (wiping) of the flash drive can resolve informationg leakage problem. The quick cleaning function allows you to remove the file system from the USB flash drive.
It is useful to know: [how to format a USB flash drive], protected from writing.
Recovering files on a USB flash drive
The file recovery function (File Recovery) in Flash Memory Toolkit allows you to recover data from flash drives that you lost after accidental deletion / a system crash / usb drive failure.
- Select the file extensions/types you want to restore from the list.
- On the next step Flash Memory Toolkit will search the source for the deleted files, and you can select all the options from the list of supported formats.
- Click the 'Scan' button. The Flash Memory Toolkit utility will scan the device and display the results.
- After the scan is completed, check the files to be restored on the sd card, checkboxes.
- Click the "Recover" button and select the folder to save the recovered files from the usb flash storage.
Note. Do not save these files on the drive or USB flash drive from which the recovery is made. You can select or disable the checkbox from the items. For graphic images (jpeg, gif, png, tiff and bmp). the preview function is available as well.
At the moment, Flash Memory Toolkit scans and successfully recovers the following formats:
- Image files: GIF / JPG / PNG / TIF / BMP
- Video: MTS / MPG / MOV / WMV / AVI
- Audio: MP3 / WAV / WMA
- Office documents: XLS / PDF / PPT / PPS / DOC
- Archive files: RAR / ZIP
Flash drive backup
This Flash Memory Toolkit function allows to create an identical copy of your flash drive and save it on a hard disk / any storage device.
USB flash drive speed test
The meaning of low-level usb drive speed test is to measure the speed potential of a flash drive during read/write tests. In other words - you can check the speed of the flash drive. The information shown as MB/s (1 MB = 1024 KB = 1048576 bytes).
During benchmarking files Flash Memory Toolkit checks how long a file of a certain length is copied and read to/from the usb flash storage.