- Published on
- Updated on
SMS Backup & Restore
How to backup sms on Android via SMS Backup & Restore
You never know when a short message from your phone will come in useful. But if you are one of those whose phones are full of potentially useful or just memorable sms-chats, then you should make sure to create backup copies. If your smartphone breaks down, gets lost or if you decide to replace an outdated gadget and save the information from the old one, you will appreciate the perks of backing up.
There are a lot of text message backup apps in Play Market. One of the most popular (among the free ones) is SMS Backup & Restore developed by SyncTech Pty Ltd.
Install SMS Backup & Restore on your device in order to go directly to creating backup copies of the messages on your smartphone. Next, run the app and follow the step-by-step instructions:
- Press large "Backup" button on the home screen.
- Select the save path for your backup copies, if you want them to be created on a memory card or a flash stick connected via an adapter. Or simply click on "Ok" in order to accept the save path to a backup folder offered by the program by default.
- Check the box next to "Text messages". Also you should check "Call logs" option, if you want the history of your calls to be added to backup in addition to sms.
- Change the name of an archive with that file and/or enable saving emojis and special characters, if needed.
- On the next screen you'll be offered to select for backing up only certain chats or to backup every single messages.
- Your last step will be to decide whether to make only a local copy on your device or to send it to any cloud service (Google Drive, Dropbox) or e-mail.
If you need to recover data from an archive created via SMS Backup & Restore, you have to:
- Install the backup app,
- Click on "Restore" button,
- Select a backup file,
- Wait for it to be unpacked onto internal memory.
- During the process the system will offer to temporarily choose SMS Backup & Restore as an app for messaging by default and you have to agree.
If for some reason SMS Backup & Restore doesn't match your needs, give a chance to Titanium Backup app to save text messages. This is a multipurpose tool for creating a "just in case" backup copy of any data stored on your smartphone. Root access to the file system is required in order for you to be able to use it.
Ilia is a professional writer. He has expert knowledge in data recovery with 15 years of experience. He started his career as a journalist by reviewing PC and mobile apps. His current responsibilities are to keep track of users' questions and answer them.