If your photos are of great importance to you, you shouldn't store them only on Android: your device can be easily lost or it can accidentally break down. Together with it every captured moment of your life will be gone. Forever.
We suggest going through the following 5 easy ways of backing up photos on Android. Clear, fast and for free.
- Syncing with Google Photos
- Photo backup to Dropbox
- Google Drive
- Transferring via a USB cable or card reader
- Dr. Fone Android Data Backup & Restore app
Google Photos app is a photo editor and media library. It offers many useful features: recognizing people's faces and creating thematic photo albums; making collages; looking for pictures by dates and locations; finding and removing duplicates. Our main interest is its backup feature.
The best way to backup photos is to perform auto syncing with Google Photos online library:
1. Download the app from Google Play.
2. Open Google Photos app on your device.
3. Create a Google account or sign in an existing one.
4. Select "Menu" section which can be found at the top of the screen.
5. A list of available features will appear. Choose "Storage Setup" and then "Autoload & sync" (or Auto sync data).
6. Enable or, if necessary, disable the feature of photo auto loading.
The app automatically saves all images: from the device gallery; screenshots and images uploaded to social networks. The photos you store in Google Photos cloud are available on all types of devices: tablets, phones and computers.
You can also access your saved photos via Internet at: https://www.google.com/photos/. The files are saved to a gallery which is available only for you, but if you want, you can grant access to it via the settings. The images which are edited via your device will automatically look the same as Google Photos.
Dropbox is a kind of a fireproof safe for your photos and videos backups. The app copies and syncs files from all types of devices and stores them on an online service.
How to create a backup copy of a photo on Android:
1. Download and install the latest version of Dropbox. Create an account by clicking "Register" button.
2. "+" sign will appear at the bottom right of your screen. Click on it.
3. A menu appears. Select "Upload photos or videos".
4. Select the files you want to copy, and press "Upload".
5. The app will redirect you to the main menu where you can track the entire process of copying.
Dropbox has a clear interface and the software operates only according to the commands of its user. This means that the app doesn't delete files on its own, including photo duplicates. Dropbox users can store 2GB of data free of charge. Additional 1TB costs $ 9.99 per month.
Dropbox has an interesting affiliate program: for each registration via your link you receive 125 MB of additional volume.
Automatic cloud backup via Google Drive is available for Android 6.0 and above.
How to backup photos to Google Drive:
- Open the main menu of your mobile device.
- Click "Photos" and open Google+.
- "Menu" will appear in the top left of the screen and you should select it.
- Via the opened list go to "Settings".
- Tap "Automatic backup".
After the changes are made the copies of photos from your device will be sent to Google Drive. In the future all the photos you take with your device will be automatically copied to Google cloud.
The easiest way to create a backup is to copy a photo from your Android device to your PC. A step-by-step guide:
- Connect your mobile device to your PC via a USB cable or connect an external card reader to a free port of your computer.
- An autorun window appears. If not, open "This computer", go to the memory of the connected Android device via "Devices and disks" folder.
- Select the photos from the device and copy them to any suitable folder on your PC.
Keep in mind that this method is only suitable for backing up and not syncing. The main advantage of a card reader is that you can copy a photo, even if your smartphone or tablet is broken.
This app has various useful features: creating backup copies from Android to a computer, recovering information and giving a possibility to share files via a wireless network. This utility works with photos, videos, call logs, messages and contacts.
How to use Dr. Fone Android Data Backup & Restore:
- Install Dr. Fone Android Data Backup & Restore. Connect your mobile device to your computer or laptop. In the opened menu click "More Tools" tab and then — "Android Data Backup & Restore". A notification stating that the device is connected will appear. Choose "Backup" or "Restore" option. Here you can also view the backup history via "View backup history" tab.
- If you select "Backup", all files from the connected Android device can be seen on the screen. Select the data you want to copy and click "Backup" button at the bottom of the screen.
- The software will start backing up the selected files. At this point, you can cancel the operation by clicking "Cancel".
- A message stating that the process of copying is complete will appear on the screen. Click on "View the Backup" button and then all saved files will open.
- If you select "Restore" option, a prompt to give the app permission for data recovery will appear on the screen. Click "OK" to continue.
When using Dr. Fone Android Data Backup & Restore your data won't be lost during the process of copying, recovering and exporting. The app is supported on more than 8000 Android devices.