You've lost the files on your phone and you don't know how to recover them? This guide contains all the information on android phone data recovery. It will be useful to those who've decided to recover the data on their own.
Read it, find your case and follow the links to other pages of our website. If you do it step by step as written in the instructions you're likely to find something from the recently deleted files on android. We can't bet it will happen but you can prevent the loss of 100% of the information.
- What type of files you should recover
- From where the files have been deleted: from a sd card or internal memory
- What is required for the Android data recovery
- The best software to recover files on Android
- If nothing works where should you go to ask for help
1. Photo and video
There are always gigabytes of data on a phone. The formats in the highest demand are photo and video. Those files are stored in Android Gallery and they come there from different places: files downloaded from messengers (Whatsapp, Viber, Skype) and social networks (Facebook Messenger, Instagram), photos and videos taken by the camera of the phone and Google Photos saved albums.
In most cases photos and videos are lost due to the following reasons:
- Wrong formatting
- The memory card can't be detected anymore (reading errors)
- Failed coping/ transferring of files from a memory card or internal memory or vice versa
As the result of one mistake (not necessarily due Android user's fault) all data is lost. Moreover, to find out about the loss of files before it's too late among hundreds of other images can be difficult. The more time has passed the less are the chance that the lost information can be properly recovered; often photos and videos are recovered damaged i.e. unreadable.
If you've lost these types of files, go to the relevant guides:
2. Contact details, messages
Along with multimedia files, contacts, phone numbers and messages are also lost. Usually, it happens after the user
- has performed a Hard reset
- has reflashed the phone without a back up
- has turned off the syncing on the phone or lost the access to his/her google account
This information is rarely stored on a sim-card (due to the size limits) and most often it has to be extracted from the phone internal memory. Accordingly, to retrieve deleted
contacts and messages special programs (see below) are required.
3. Other data
This includes: correspondence from messengers, files downloaded through the Network, documents and application files which can also disappear. Use the search bar on the website to find the information you need.
Files on Android are stored in two sources: on a memory card (if there is any) and on internal memory. Accordingly, there are different methods of android file recovery.
It's much easier to recover lost android data on a memory card: recovery software is installed on a PC and then you need to follow the steps suggested by the wizard. Almost every program has a Wizard.
It's not easy to work with internal memory for an average user. You'll need such programs like DiskDigger or Undeleter. In addition to this, you'll have to gain the root rights.
In some cases you can also make a copy of internal memory and use the above mentioned software for a PC.
For recovering files on a phone on your own you'll need:
1. Root-access: a special application providing recovery programs with an access to the file system of the phone is installed on your phone.
It's also possible to retrieve deleted files on Android without the root-access but the chances to find the required files are much lower. If data is missing from the internal memory of your phone (for example, photos, contacts and messages) then root is a must have. It's pretty easy to activate the superuser access. Read our review of the best one click root applications for Android.
2. A card reader: if you're planning to recover from the memory card you'll need an internal card reader (which is built in a lot of laptops) or an external one.
3. A usb-cable: to connect your phone or a card reader to a PC
4. Recovery software: this can be a paid or a free product. By the way, not always a licensed version of a program will cope with the problem better than its free counterparts so it makes sense to try free options first.
In addition to the mentioned above, you'll need some free time (from several minutes to a couple of hours) depending on the complexity of the Android recovery, the extent of damage and the time passed since the removal of the files.
1. Programs to recover from a sd card
If you've deleted the files from a memory card (like photos, videos and documents) install such programs like Recuva, PhotoRec and DiskDigger for PC on your PC. They are free and quite effective and they also support the majority of the file types and popular on Android file formats.
2. Application to recover from Android internal memory
Such applications like Undeleter and DiskDigger for Android are suitable for recovering from the internal memory of a phone. It's also possible to do it via Recuva. Before using the software a copy of Android internal memory is required (read the guide on how to do it). In any case, when recovering files from the phone memory root-rights are always required.
If you've tried to recover the files in a variety of different ways but didn't manage to and you desperately need help ask us via the feedback form. Define the problem and describe it in details:
- under which circumstances the files have been deleted,
- which device model was used,
- were the files deleted: from internal memory or a sd card.
We'll try to answer and offer solutions of the problem.