Losing or hacking a Steam account becomes a real tragedy for gamers. It’s understandable: it’s not just a profile, but a chat, communities, a collection of games and much more. Fortunately, this situation is always fixable. You can restore your profile, for this there are various ways, depending on how the loss of access to it occurred. As a rule, the recovery process is straightforward.
If the Steam profile name is known
The most common reason that you can’t log in to your Steam account is that the user simply forgets his password. In this case, you can restore Steam directly in its interface. The scheme of action is as follows:
- Log in to Steam on your computer. In the authorization window, click the "Restore account" line.
- A window for providing information will appear. The first item should be noted and click “Next”.
- In the line that appears, type the name of the profile. A technical support letter containing a code of letters and numbers for profile recovery will be sent to your email.
- This code should be written in the line "Email code" and continue the procedure by clicking "Next".
- Now you can create a new password and enter it in the proposed line. To avoid problems in the future, it is better to record a new password and store it in a safe place.
- Having completed all the proposed actions, click the "Finish" button and return to the authorization page.
This algorithm does not take much time - 5-10 minutes. But you can only use it when you remember the name of your account.
If the Steam account name is not known
How to recover a Steam account if a profile name pops out of my head? The instruction is as follows:
- Launch Steam and in the login window click "Restore account".
- Tick off the line “I don’t remember the account name” and click “Next.”
- A notification appears to indicate your email address or game license key. After entering one or the other, the process of searching for data about your account is activated.
- Search results will be sent by letter to your email.
- Go to the received letter and find the name of your account.
- If you don't remember the password, then after receiving the name, you can use the algorithm described above to restore the password.
How to return a stolen Steam account
What should I do if my Steam account is stolen? After all, it already has a lot of purchased games, personal messages and much more ... To resolve this situation, you will have to contact the technical support service. This will require certain information to confirm that you are actually the owner of the account. These data include:
- The name of the hacked account.
- The email address associated with your account.
- Information about the owner of the bank card with which purchases were made in the Steam store: name, surname, last four digits of the card number.
To write technical support, you need to go to the Steam website and open the "Support" tab. There are many subsections, among which you should choose one: "Problems with the account." In it, indicate the line "Return of the stolen account" and click "Contact support."
The system will offer to describe the problem. Make it deployed, providing maximum information. This will speed up the process of considering the application and restoring the Steam account. The appeal should preferably be in English - examples can be found on the network and replace some data with your own. It is not necessary to write several times: it is not effective and can be regarded as spam.
Another confirmation of ownership of the account will be a physical copy of the game. Rather, the license key indicated on the disk with it. A photo of the key can be attached to your letter, this will increase the likelihood of a favorable outcome.
If your Steam account is blocked
You could block the account yourself, intentionally or by negligence. In this case, access can be restored using the electronic mail box.
- Go to the "Inbox" folder and select a message from the Steam service that the account has been deactivated.
- Find the link to unlock the profile in the text of the letter.
- On the page that opens, click "Login and Unlock ...". The service will send you a verification code by mail.
- Enter the received code and press "Unlock ..." again.
When the process is completed, the system will issue a notification about this. Now you can use your account again.
The most pressing question among gamers is what to do if a Steam account has been hacked. The algorithm for obtaining authorization capabilities is similar to that used for profile theft. However, the problem of hacking is better to prevent than to solve later. There are several proven methods.
- Change the email address associated with your account. It is the mailing address that fraudsters often use to steal an account. The systematic change of the mailbox password also reduces the risk of hacking. This password should not be told to anyone under any circumstances. Phishing sites are also a way to steal your personal information. They should be especially aware.
- Another effective way is to activate special Steam Guard protection. Each time you try to enter the profile, a code will be sent to your email address or phone number. Without this code, authorization will not occur. You can download the Steam Guard Mobile Authenticator app to your mobile device to increase account security.
- A good antivirus program on your computer will help to protect your account from hacking. Fraudsters often obtain profile data using virus programs. If the antivirus works efficiently, it will always issue notifications that a dangerous file has entered the computer or the site you are logged into is malicious.
Using these simple recommendations, you can avoid the hassles of losing your Steam account.