Viruses, trojans and keyloggers can be called typical types of malware. Phones and tablets are in need of constant protection from them. We have chosen the best antiviruses (free and not) for Android which you can find helpful. The rating is relevant at the end of 2018-2019.
Here are the apps we're going to mention in this review:
- Dr.Web Light
- Malwarebytes Security for Android
- Kaspersky Internet Security
- AVG AntiVirus FREE
- ESET Mobile Security & Antivirus
Despite the prefix Light, Dr.Web offers a full set of basic features which will protect your mobile device from malware.
Importantly, Dr.Web works fast and doesn't overload your processor and RAM as its more functional competitors do. This program is perfectly optimized for working on Android smartphones and tablets, so its background protection will be invisible for users. Even on devices with the capacity of 512 MB "Doctor" works pretty fast and doesn't drain their battery.
Antivirus is highly customizable and allows you to choose the scanning mode (full or fast) as in Dr.Web desktop version. If you want to scan for viruses a folder or a disk, it's enough to simply specify it before starting the scanning process.
If you check the contents of your phone quite often and want to always have an antivirus at your disposal, you can add a special Dr.Web Light widget to your home screen. It's convenient to check the content you download from internet via it. However, there is no special need for regular checking, as SpIDer Guard monitor provides real time protection of your phone.
We're going to highlight its other capabilities. The mobile phone antivirus app successfully gets rid of ransomware lockers. If your device is locked, the antivirus takes on a threat and removes the protection. If this virus can't be found in Dr Web database, Origins Tracing™ technology will help to identify a potential threat by analyzing the behavior of running processes.
Dr.Web antivirus free version for Android doesn't include spam filter, SMS blacklist, theft protection and some other important security features. In order to get them you have to switch to Dr.Web Security Space (which costs around $30).
Dr.Web Lite is regularly updated along with its antivirus databases (as of November 9, 2018, the last update was on October 19, 2018).
You can download latest antivirus for Android via the link below (the number of installations has already exceeded 50 million which is an impressive figure for security software).
Doctor Web rating on Google Play:
Malwarebytes antivirus does well on a desktop platform and since recently this app mobile version is also available. Its main capabilities are: protection from phishing, adware and fraud software and removal of viruses and trojans. Malwarebytes protection runs in real time and doesn't overload your phone resources.
Malwarebytes basic version for Android is free. Premium allows you to test its additional features for 30 days and then "rolls back" to the free version.
- Detection and removal of ransomware viruses just in time before the blocking of a phone; if you had Malwarebytes antivirus installed when your phone got infected, this ransomware virus will also be removed;
- Detection of phishing, malware and malicious links in incoming text messages and any other text, including email, Facebook, Whatsapp or websites.
- Real time scanning of apps. Malwarebytes Security identifies malicious codes, potentially unwanted programs (PUP) and adware inside other apps.
- Monitoring of apps permissions which protects from unauthorized access of installed apps to the file system. An app that requires more than ordinary access rights is marked as a suspicious one and, if device user wants, is put in quarantine.
- Detection of spyware (programs tracking your location, keystrokes, calls and spending your money on hidden fees).
Although Malwarebytes Security isn't included in the ranking of the most popular antiviruses (it has been downloaded 160 thousand times), we recommend this mobile antivirus. At least this app free demo version will be useful for you, if you've noticed suspicious activity on your device.
Malwarebytes Security rating on Google Play:
Kaspersky Internet Security is comprehensive protection of your confidential data, antivirus scanner and malware blocker at the same time.
We're going to list this app main capabilities:
Scanning can takes place in real time and also on your demand
Antivirus protection operates in real time and you can also scan your mobile device at any time. Kaspersky puts in quarantine or removes on user's demand all detected viruses, spyware and trojans.
KIS like any other firewall runs in the background and doesn't overload your phone / tablet resources. If you try to open a link leading to a fraud resource, Kaspersky Internet Security will block its downloading and send a notification.
Restricting access to Android apps
Among KIS exclusive capabilities we'll highlight the blocking of apps. Without entering the password, none of the blocked apps will launch and, accordingly, the access to your personal data will be impossible.
If your mobile phone is in use after you've lost it and / or it has been stolen, Kaspersky will determine its location. If the thief is somewhere nearby, you can activate the siren on the stolen phone or take a photo and send it to an email. All personal data (contacts, banking information and passwords) will be deleted or hidden from the thief.
Anti-phishing, blacklist and privacy protection are only available in the premium version. The annual subscription fee is $14.95 per device.
Kaspersky antivirus rating on Google Play is 4.8 (one of the best antivirus and cleaner for Android).
AVG AntiVirus FREE is one of the best antivirus for Android among the free ones. Its main capabilities are:
- protection from viruses, malware, spyware and potentially dangerous apps;
- access control of installed apps;
- blocking of unwanted calls and SMS.
AVG AntiVirus FREE works in real time, but file scanning on user's demand is also available. Like most other mobile antiviruses, AVG scans your phone sd card and internal memory.
Anti-theft feature will find the lost smartphone via Google Maps. If your phone has been stolen, you can use more radical tools like remote data cleaning and blocking of your mobile device.
Private data of the app is blocked via a pin code. You can restrict access to messengers, photos and videos stored on your phone. Another protection feature is blocking of your smartphone after its SIM card has been changed.
AVG also offers a feature of permanent deletion of files stored on the phone memory or its sd card. This might be useful if, for example, you're preparing your smartphone / tablet for a resale or its data is of extreme importance. Personal information that has been erased in such way can't be recovered.
There are other less important tools in AVG AntiVirus: task manager, file cleaner and power save. There is no special need in them: Android latest versions have built-in optimization tools.
AVG AntiVirus is one of the top 5 antiviruses for Android on Google Play with more than 100 million downloads. AVG AntiVirus rating on Google Play is 4.5.
AVG AntiVirus rating on Google Play:
To download the antivirus for Android phone use the following link:
ESET Mobile Security is an antivirus scanner for Android that search your mobile device for viruses, trojans and ransomware and also recognizes spyware and advertising features of the already installed programs.
Its free version (30-day trial) allows you to evaluate the premium functionality of this antivirus without any restrictions. After a month, the program will run in ordinary mode, but without premium features.
ESET Mobile Security free version capabilities:
- Anti-theft. If you've lost your phone, you can send an SMS and get its GPS coordinates. You can also find the location of the lost device through internet;
- selective scanning of file system, internal memory and sd card on user's demand;
- searching for malware, spyware and adware apps among the already installed ones (including hidden and system apps);
- security report (helps you to identify and fix the vulnerabilities of your Android).
ESET Mobile Security premium version capabilities:
- Call Filter is a black list for incoming calls and text messages from anonymous and your address book contacts;
- Checking permissions of installed apps (Security Audit module);
- Protection of apps and user data via a pin or a fingerprint;
- Proactive Anti-Theft and Anti-Phishing modules.
ESET Mobile Security is a top antivirus app for Android, its rating on Google Play: