Antivirus is an app you need for safe work on a computer or mobile device. Regarding Avast antivirus, there are no significant claims on its operation and the reviews are positive.
However, one drawback is still worth mentioning – increased use of resources. Not everyone is fond of the constant presence of Avast on their hard drives and in RAM, so some users eventually decide to get rid of Avast or at least temporarily disable it, even with the risk to get a virus.
In this manual we're going to talk about both removing and disabling Avast, so choose the option you like more.
- How to uninstall Avast antivirus
- How to disable Avast on your computer
How to completely remove Avast from your computer
In order to completely remove the antivirus, a proprietary utility called Avast Uninstall Utility aka AvastClear is required. Its features are very specific: it detects the traces of Avast on a computer and erases them. This method of removing the desktop antivirus is helpful in case when uninstall Avast in a standard way (via control Panel, through Programs and components) is impossible.
So, in order to completely remove Avast from your Windows computer, you should do the following:
- Download avastclear.exe utility to your PC from the official website.
- Restart your computer and enter Safe Mode. Technically, you can uninstall the software in the ordinary mode of Windows, but then the complete removal of Avast isn't ensured.
- Open Avastclear.exe program.
- Specify the directory where Avast antivirus is located.
- Select the version of Avast installed on your PC.
- Click on "DELETE" in order to completely remove Avast antivirus from your computer.
- Restart the PC to apply the changes.
How to temporarily disable Avast
Pausing Avast antivirus might be useful, if
- You don't want to delete Avast (virus scan is performed on a schedule);
- Your computer works slowly or needs additional resources (you launched Photoshop, Chrome with a dozen of open tabs or you're installing a program)
In such cases, you can simply disable the antivirus. Later we're going to share two methods of how you can do it. Both methods can be used with Windows 7 and Windows 10 operating systems, as well as older versions.
Method 1: disabling the shields of the antivirus
- Open the main window of Avast by launching it from the desktop or by selecting "Open Avast user interface" from the notification bar in the context menu (The notification bar in Windows XP, 7, 10 and others can be found in the lower right corner).
- Go to "Protection" - "Core shields". If unnecessary, disable the following shields:
- File Shield
- Behavior Shield
- Web Shield
- Mail Shield
Method 2 (how to disable Avast temporarily via the settings)
- Go to "Protection" - "Core shields".
- Switch off the antivirus and set the interval of Avast disabling: from 10 minutes to the next reboot.
- Press "OK" in order to confirm the action.
Within the specified period of time, the virus protection of your file system will be completely disabled. Remember to enable Avast protection when you need it. "Turn on virus and threat protection" switch should appear in the Windows 10 Notification center.
In the same way you can disable the other shields of the antivirus such as: web, mail and other installed by a user.
Method 3 (via the Notification bar)
In order to pause the antivirus, you should perform the following actions:
- Right click on the Avast icon in the Notification bar.
- "Manage Avast shields" > "Disable all shields" (you can select the time interval for disabling).
Given that each of the components of the antivirus "eats" its part of the resources of your PC, disabling any module can increase its performance. This is especially useful for low-power computers or low-cost laptops.
That's it; if you have any questions on Avast antivirus, ask them via the feedback form. Good luck with fighting against viruses!