Have issues with unlocking a memory card in order to be able to read it? Trying to write a file on your USB flash drive or SD card but get “The SD Card is write protected” message?
I am going to list all possible methods of removing write protection and formatting your memory device (Sandisk, Samsung, etc.) for it to work in a regular operating mode.
- SD card fix tools
- Removing write protection via Registry
- Using DiskPart to unlock your SD Card
- Fixing SD Card executing diskmgmt.msc
- Group policy editor
- Checking for bad blocks (bad sectors) via HDDScan
- Formatting via modern digital cameras
- Use “Clip” to remove write protection
- Contact your technical support
- Professional sd card recovery
- Other ways to remove write protection
- Write protected memory device: FAQ
For some memory cards there is branded software which we’d recommend using since it works better and more effectively than Windows formatting tools. Such apps listed below will help you remove write protection in a number of cases. A disadvantage of this approach is losing the files you currently have on your memory card.
1. SDFormatter v4
How to format a memory card which is write protected? You can use SDFormatter. It fixes file reading and writing errors and remove write protection from sd card. Quick or full format unblocks a memory card. Using the latest version of SDFormatter, go for the Overwrite format option.
2. HP Disk Format Tool
A more universal method is making use of utilities like HP Disk Format Tool. In the settings you can select file system and format type as well as force format your SD Card.
3. HDD Low Level Format
HDD LLF contains the same set of options as the two previously described tools. It deals not only with HDD/SSD but also with SD, MMC, MemoryStick and CompactFlash memory devices.
This way of disabling write protection is simple but if Registry is mishandled, your operating system will be disrupted. So we’d recommend making a backup copy of your Windows Registry before you take action following these steps.
1. Open Registry editor as an administrator (Start – regedit).
2. Navigate to the catalogue HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\. If it doesn’t have a folder named StorageDevicePolicies – create it. For this:
- 2.1. Right-click on the current catalogue Control
- 2.2. In the menu select New – Key; name it StorageDevicePolicies.
3. Right-click on the StorageDevicePolicies and select a new value of the parameter DWORD(32-bit) for a 32-bit OS or QWORD(64-bit) for a 64-bit one respectively.
4. Rename DWORD/QWORD to WriteProtect and double-click the line changing value to 0 (HEX).
5. Safely remove the memory card and reboot your computer.
Video how to remove write protection:
Diskpart is a console utility in Windows 2000-XP and higher which enables you to manage disk partitions and volumes at a low level of access.
When we connect to an SD Card via console and format it we remove 'read only' protection and unlock memory card. Here is how to remove write protection on micro sd card by this way:
- Open the command prompt (cmd.exe). Type "diskpart" to start the utility.
- Type "list disk" to show the list of available disks in the system.
- Find your USB flash drive on the list; type "SELECT DISK n" where n stands for your memory card with the write protected partition.
- Type "clean" (you may have to repeat it two or three times).
- Type "create partition primary" to create a new partition on the memory card.
- Type "select partition" to select the partition on the disk.
- Type "active" to activate the disk.
- Type "format fs=ntfs" to format to NTFS (make sure you selected the right memory device!).
This method of disabling write protection is suitable both for SD Cards and USB sticks. We are going to use an alternative utility diskmgmt.msc.
- Start menu – Run – diskmgmt.msc, Enter
- Navigate to the context menu of the partition that needs formatting
- Click “Delete volume” and confirm your choice
- In the context menu click “New volume”
- Choose primary partition
- Leave default parameters
It can happen that access to an SD Card is restricted by Windows local group policy. To remove the 'read only' restriction take the following steps:
- Start – Run – gpedit.msc.
- Go to Computer Configuration – Administrative Template – System – Removable Storage Access.
- Disable parameter "Removable disks: Deny All Access".
HDDScan utility (regardless of its name) allows you to check memory cards and flash drives for bad sectors and read errors.
To diagnose an issue it's more than enough to test out a sd card with the help of this program two types of tests: Read and Write tests. It'll take just 5 minutes of your time and after it's done you'll receive a report: stating if there are any bad sectors preventing your flash drive from proper operation.
From there you can choose one out of two scenarios of how to solve the problem:
- If you've bought the flash drive recently, you can replace it on a warranty (local or global).
- If there is no warranty or the time of a replacement has run out, you can fill the bad sectors with zeros. This can be done via DMDE program. This procedure helps to remove bad sectors, and as a result of it, your flash drive will be correctly recognized both on a computer and on devices it has been previously used.
A number of Canon and Nikon camera models, according to the users' reviews, show a positive result as they format on a low level.
How to fix a Sd card via a camera:
- Insert your sd card into a device,
- Find formatting command in the camera menu,
- Try to write files onto the formatted card.
“Clip” (Unlock Clip) is a special device used for removing hardware interlock from SD/SDHC/microSD cards. It also allows you to remove a forgotten or automatically setted password.
After detecting a card in the slot, a command of full formatting is given, which erases the card flash memory and command boxes.
The result is displayed on the built-in led: fast flashing means success and slow flashing means that your card is corrupted. Just several seconds and your card is like a brand new one. Obviously, all the data is irretrievably lost.
In more serious cases (such as corrupted firmware, wrong volume due to an out of order translator and etc.) the clip is useless.
You can find the clip in any mobile repair service. The cost of such devices is usually low. For example, the price of ezSD Ghost Unlock Clip for MicroSD / SDHC is just $ 14.99.
Technical support staff can give you recommendations on methods of fixing corrupted flash drives for free. Honestly, who knows better than them when it comes to sd cards? Besides, technical support staff may offer you special programs designed for low-level formatting (sometimes it's hard to find them on the manufacturer's website).
Of course, this option will do only if you're willing to pay for the work of professionals. This procedure is quite expensive, but the benefits are clear: extracting data from a corrupted device (well, only if its memory microcircuits aren't damaged).
"I need to format sd card which is showing disk is write protected. i have tried all options to remove write protection even though i am not able to format it. also i have tried chkdsk options, cmd formatting and so on. but couldn't able to unlock sd card. my doubt is whether is sd card can be formatted for further use or not. when ever inserted to the system, my windows is able to read the card."
- Scan your SD Card for viruses. Malware applications set up their own control over your files and won’t let you overwrite them. Use any effective online antivirus.
- If your SD Card has a write protect switch, toggle it to enable access.
- Upgrade your SD Card firmware. The exact model can be found in Google by chip vendor and chip vendor model, the data available in the Device Manager.
- My 32GB memory card is write protected. When I try deleting a file on it, I am asked to disable write protection or use another disk. What shall I do, how to disable write protection? I can neither delete files from my memory card nor copy any to it.
- No matter how many times I try to format my SD Card, it keeps asking me to remove write protection. I actually did remove it several times but every time it is back. My phone gives information on the card being broken. My computer and laptop accept it but I still can’t format it.
- I can’t format a memory card SONY 64GB, copy files to it or delete them. The system claims the disk to be write protected. I tried everything you described. Nothing helps. I bought this memory card about 3 months ago and it used to work without fail.
- I have tried all methods to format my sd card. If i remember well i installed 'hide files' app on my phone and was later at a stage compelled to reset my phone. I can see my files on the sd, i can also copy them. So since then i cannot delete or move my files on the sd card. Whenever i format my card everything seems to work out, and finishes to format. but when i go back to check files on sd the y are there, raw as they where. I don't know what to do and how to format write protected sd card.
[Failing to move/copy to sd card ]
My Sandisk SD card doesn't want to delete or move things in. It says i must get access from memory card but when i try to press 'select sd card', it shows weird numbers. What must i do.
[Can't format write protected micro sd card]
I am having Samsung EVO+ SD Micro Card since 2016. Last week it stopped working, was not detected by my Moto mobile (Not detected by other mobiles). But it was detected by Laptop. I am trying to format it but it shows message 'Cant format write Protected sd card'. I almost tried every option to format it.
Is there any method by which my mobile can detect it?
[Problem with my microSD 32gb on tecno W3]
I tired transferring files on it ..it went alright but then after opening it…it shows a file which can't be opened with the name Uuuuuuuu.I tried deleting then it's Says No permission to delete. please help me with this problem .what is the cause of it…I tried using the laptop to format it And its showed "this disk is write protected".
I bought a new memory card that worked for a few minutes and stopped. it says blank card on my phone and wouldn't format on my pc, I have tried everything. Windows unable to format sd card, it kept on saying write protected. Please assist me. The memory card model is from "advance" 16gb
Answer. You can remove write protection from the memory card via Registry, as well as using diskpart and diskmgmt.msc utilities (in Windows). As an option, format your SD Card to FAT32 using the tools mentioned at the top of this guide.
- I have Samsung S3600 which can’t write files to the memory card anymore. The funny thing is that there is a couple of files left on the card: two photos and a video, and there’s no way I can delete them. I did delete them from my computer but somehow they are back on the memory card. I can’t transfer any files to this memory card either. I never dropped my phone on the ground or into the water, the card just stopped working all of a sudden. How to disable write protection?
- I bought a microSD SanDisk 128GB for my Samsung Galaxy A5 (2016). When I insert it into my phone, it works for a short while and then prevents any files from being written on it. I’ve tried loads of things: formatted it on my PC and phone, but no use, it only helps for some period of time and then access is restricted again. Why is my sd card write protected?
Answer. The file system on your memory card can be damaged, so you can’t write any new data onto it. In such cases we recommend scanning disk for errors using a basic tool chkdsk. Should it fail to help, format your SD Card using SD Formatter.
I’ve no idea what happened to my memory card: when I connect it to my computer, it says that I must format the Drive J before using it. When I try formatting it, I get a message that disk is write protected.
It prevents me from removing volume by the right-click using diskmgmt.msc, other operations can’t be performed either. The SD Card file system is Raw, and the system writes that it works. I wonder what to do, how to remove write protection and restore my memory card?
If the disk prevents any files from being written to it, try opening your SD card in a different operating system.
Besides Disk Management, you can use any disk manager such as Partition Magic or Acronis Disk Director.
1) Sandisk Ultra USB 3.0 16GB. I’ve done everything, from changing the letter to clearing the Registry. As soon as I start formatting, a message pops out that Windows can’t do it, and the USB can’t be found. I also tried HDD Low Level Format Tool v4.40 Final – same thing. How to perform formatting of a write protected USB stick?
2) I can’t format my microSD. It writes: Windows was unable to complete the format. I used a bunch of tools and the command prompt but can’t even delete files. I click “delete”, take out microSD and insert it back. The file that has just been deleted is there again. Neither deletion nor format works.
3) My memory card is not formatting by any way and also has write protection. I use registry editor and command line to disable write protection but write protection is not gone. Please help me to turn off write protection on sd card by other way and other ways to format.
4) [Write protected 128G Memory card]
I did all the procedures mentioned above to disable write protection on sd card (Strontium 128G) but they failed. Is there anything I still can do? Thank you very much.
5) [Error with SD Card Formatter]
I tried SD Card Formatter but then also it showed the error “cannot format write protected card”. Can you please help me.
Answer. Use other format tools: SDFormatter or software provided by the developer on their web page (sometimes using them you can format a USB stick or microSD bypassing system errors).
The problem can be also in Windows or configuration of the computer. Format your memory card on another computer or in a different OS (Windows/Mac OS/Linux).
I Have used password to protect my memory card after all the sd card corrupted and can't read the files i need help.
I tried a lot to format my sd card because of write protected issue and every time I can successfully format my sd card. But the problem is after completing the format the formatted data back again in my sd card. What should I do? Thanks in advance!
I had a 2GB memory card in my mobile it allows to delete and format my disk but when i insert that in a computer and receiving file then came a message the disk is "write protected" then i tried all methods in youtube(run,regedit,cmd,etc) to disable the write protection then there is no use then also i tried to receive a file it came the disk is write protected then i remove the disk from the computer i insert that one in my mobile phone and i went files there is only the phone storage but there is no memory card storage. What can i do now?
[Adapter is write protected]
Hello, I have problems with my adapter for micro SD card. I have 200gb micro SDXC card and I have 2 adapters for them (SanDisk and 8mobility MBA13a) to use it like external memory on my Lenovo laptop. When I put it in my laptop I can see files, but in SandDisk I can work, delete,copy etc…and when the SD card is in 8mobility I can only see files and when I try to delete something it says "Disk is write protected". I removed protection using cmd, but it is still a problem. Please help???"
[Corrupted and protected sd card]
Hi. My sd card is corrupted but then if I try to fix it, it says is protected. I've tried to use EaseUs partition master but I can't find any solution. Please help me what to do!.
[Formatting Write Protected SD Card]
I would like to format my SD card which has 128 GB, VIOS brand. I tried using sd formatting apps, but as the sd card is write protected, it couldn't format it. I also tried doing regedit, did not work. tried cmd prompt using diskpart, did not work as well. is it because the sd card is dead already or is there a way to format it. I don't need the data in the sd card, I just need it to be able to use, like removing the write protection for good
[Adata 64 gb micro sd write protection]
My 64 gb Adata micro sd card is not formattable, if i delete something it comes back. I tried using AOM Partition, but I received and error message saying my sd card have bad sector.
HOW CAN I FIX THAT BAD SECTOR ? AND FIX MY SD CARD AGAIN"
[sd card problem]
I have a 16gb memory card that suddenly developed problem, it turned read only, i cannot store or delete anything in it anymore, my computer tells me to format but it won't format even cmd. the error message I get is “cannot write boot sector”. can you please tell me the way to go about it, I don't care if I lose all data in it, just want to repair the sd card
HP 16GB. I’ve done everything, from changing the letter to clearing the Registry. As soon as I start formatting, a message pops out that Windows can’t do it, and the USB can’t be found. I also tried Different Format Tool but same thing happened my pendrive is not formatted and i can't insert data into my pendrive . How to format read only sd card?