With the advent of messengers (Whatsapp, Viber, Facebook), sms messages are gradually fading into oblivion. However, old problems are still relevant. When you restore Whatsapp chats and messages, you have to carry out some complex actions, which don't always result in a positive way.
Today you are going to learn retrieve whatsapp chat history quickly. First of all, it's so easy to do that even a beginner will get it. So, let's start.
In what cases a Whatsapp chat can be deleted
Most often, Whatsapp chat history disappears:
- after an accidental deletion (instead of "Add conversation" you clicked on "Delete chat" button). This often happens not due to user fault, but because of the inconvenience of a touchscreen;
- after reflashing a phone: all data stored in internal memory is lost irretrievably;
- after changing a phone: you have to reinstall the messenger, as the result all messages are lost.
The main ways of restoring a Whatsapp chat:
How to retrieve deleted chats in whatsapp: the standard way
Fortunately, all WhatsApp chats are safely stored in backups. Backups are made automatically on a phone: every day and by schedule.
Perhaps the easiest way to retrieve old whatsapp messages is to delete Whatsapp and reinstall it. After specifying your verification number you'll be offered to restore a backup copy from Google Drive or import a local file with your messages history.
After the first launching, Whatsapp suggests enabling backing up your data to Google Drive cloud.
Accordingly, the most simple and obvious way to restore a chat is from a file stored in Google Drive.
How to restore messages from Google Drive backup copy:
- After installing Whatsapp, open the messenger and specify your phone number (the one you used before).
- Select the method of restoring in "Restore chat history" window and click "Restore" button.
Did you fail to find a backup copy?
It could have happened for the following reasons:
- You're using a different Google account not the one you used before in Whatsapp;
- You've specified a phone number which wasn't previously used in the app;
- The memory card is corrupted or has errors (or the file with Whatsapp messages fails to open);
- There are no messages back up copies on a memory card.
Restoring from a local file
If you didn't connecte Google Drive account to Whatsapp, there is another way: to restore messages from a local file.
Chat backup files are stored at /sdcard/WhatsApp/. If you fail to find them, check phone internal memory. If they aren't there, perhaps, you've deleted them. Then see the following recovery method which is via Undeleter / DiskDigger programs.
Note. Google Drive saves only the last chat version, while phone stores Whatsapp data in the last 7 days.
How can i retrieve deleted whatsapp chat history from a local file.
- Install a file manager, for example, ES Explorer or TotalCMD.
- Open sdcard/WhatsApp/Databases folder. All chat backups are stored there. If there are no files, check main storage also.
- Select the file you want to restore from the list (its format should be msgstore-YYYY-MM-DD.1.db.crypt12). Rename it to msgstore.db.crypt12.
- Uninstall WhatsApp from your phone (if you have it) and reinstall it again by downloading the latest version from Google Play.
- Specify the phone number you've used before during installing,
- In "Restore chat history" window click "Restore" in order to import old chats and get back deleted whatsapp messages.
If backups were stored on a computer, you can use any software to retrieve deleted whatsapp chat. The example is EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard. In theory it's possible to restore backups via "deep scan" option. However, the chances are high only if backups did exist and not a lot of time has passed since their deletion.
To restore old whatsapp messages:
- Select the disk where you stored backups;
- Click "Scan" and wait till the end of scanning;
- Sort files by their type;
- Restore them on a drive ( via "Recover" command).
By the way, there is a free alternative version of EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard which is Recuva and its functionality is pretty much the same.
If chat backups were stored in device internal memory, try searching for them via Undeleter app. The program scans phone memory and retrieves all the files it can get access to. Root access (superuser rights) is required for work.
Note. Some manuals state that Undeleter helps to detect Whatsapp call history. In fact it doesn't. Everything this app is able to do is to recover lost backup files that were deleted by user.
Alternative utility to restore whatsapp conversation is DiskDigger for Android. It scans sd and internal memory. It's best suited for recovering photos and videos, but it might also find Whatsapp user files (we haven't checked it, so we offer you to try it yourself and share your experience afterwards).
Questions and answers
I could not manage how can i retrieve deleted whatsapp chat history of my phone that did not had any backup using Recuva.
The answer. Backups could have been stored on a sd card or device internal memory. In the later case, Undeleter can help but not Recuva.
Messages can be restored only if you haven't disabled backing up while setting up the messenger for the first time.
I accidentally deleted what's app chat backup copies. A chat with important data was among those copies. The story is empty, there is no chat. Is it possible to restore it somehow?
The answer. Check Google Drive Recycle Bin: perhaps, Whatsapp backup copies can still be there. If there are no messages in Google Drive cloud, search in phone memory for a local file. Or ask the recipient of messages to share the chat history with you.
I try to fix old mobile latest one has an issue. when I try to retrieve whatsapp backup I have for that phone I find 4 dated sep 2017 dec2016 and other 2 for 2012/2011 I retrieve 2017 it should retrieve 4300 msg but after several hours I find only 2000 though I have more than 8Gb free and it refuses to get any more. I need to keep all messages with a school group. unfortunately I try to retrieve and uninstall again it got worth and I lost even the 2000 got only 600 or less. uninstall 3rd time make it worse no messages before 2 June 2018. now I cannot find these on backup drive neither email it I have only one option on drive delete only :( can I recover or I lost it?
The answer. Check whether there are any other backup copies: local files or on Google Drive.
Perhaps, you've written new files over the deleted ones with messages. So with each new attempt of recovering the chances decrease.